[windows2000] Re: Net view not listing all

  • From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:32:49 -0400

Well, here's another thing.  I played around with my computer.  I set my
WINS server to be what it should be, and saw an incomplete list.  Then I
started WINS on another server that has WINS installed, but not normally
running.  I rebooted, and saw the same list.  Then I removed my WINS
server entry altogether, rebooted my machine, started my browser
service, and ran a net view.  I still saw the same thing.  So, when my
computer was totally responsible for getting its own list and not
looking to a WINS server, it still saw the same thing.  But what's even
more confusing is that I killed the WINS database on our WINS server
this morning (since our network admin wasn't around <g>) and restarted
the service so that a fresh new database would be created.  All the damn
computers on the network showed up in the database.  So, all the
computers are definitely registering themselves with the WINS server.  I
keep coming back to the router suspicion.  But, man, I just don't know
about these things.  I shouldn't even be concerning myself with this.  I
have some things I have to do, like write some scripts and stuff, that
depend on a complete computer list, so until this is figured out, I
can't do these things.  I guess that's why I care.  Oh well, it's a
three day weekend!

Ray at home