[windows2000] Re: Net view not listing all

  • From: Jim.Walls@xxxxxxx
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:01:17 -0700

Ray wrote (in part):
> About a year ago, I wrote a script to set the browser service to manual
startup on all our workstations since we have a WINS server.  After doing
that, everything was fine, and we were no longer have "browser wars" on our
network.  Then, ten months later (about two months ago), we suddenly were
only seeing 6 of our 48 remote locations.  That was right around the time
we got a new router.

Always gets suspicious when something is changed and then some apparently
unrelated problem shows up.  One of my standard pieces of advice is to ask
what has changed recently.  don't necessarily discount anything even if you
think it's unrelated.  However don't concentrate on the change that you
miss something else also.

> Our network guy spent a lot of time on the phone with Microsoft today,
and according to them, 9 times out of 10, these problems are not router
related. The supposed solution is to start the browser service on one
workstation in each remote location (each subnet?).  What's a subnet?  I
don't know.  Our IP address configuration here is as such:

> 192.168.1.* - main office
> 192.168.101.* some remote location
> 192.168.102.* some remote location
> 192.168.103.* some remote location
> 192.168.104.* some remote location

> and so on.  Is each of those a "subnet?"

Yep.  Each of those is a subnet.
I'm not all that up on large network routing, but I'm guessing that the new
router is setup to not allow the broadcast packets that the master browser
needs to operate.  This may be the case only on some ports which is why
some locations show up and some do not.  To be honest, I can't tell you
much more detail than that because that's getting pretty far from my
expertise.  I do know that the master browser uses broadcast packets to do
it's work.

> I don't buy this solution of enabling the browser service on one computer
per subnet.  The reason I don't buy it is that we had the browser service
disabled on all of our workstations for 10 months, and everything was
totally fine.  And isn't it normal to have the browser service disabled in
a WAN when you have a WINS server?

Agreed that having a master browser on each subnet is not the ideal
solution, but it may be a workaround until the router configuration can be
corrected.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile Radio Operations