[windows2000] Re: Net view not listing all

  • From: Frank Monroe <Frank.Monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:13:59 -0400

I have to agree with Microsoft on this one.  You should have a master
browser on each subnet.  If this was working before, I can only assume there
was some Windows 95 system acting as the master browser on the working
subnets and maybe that system is gone.  The reason why I say this is
disabling the browser on a Windows 95 system is not as simple as setting the
service to manual on NT.  Also, even if you do set it to manual on NT, it
may be started by another service and then become the master browser.  If
you want to turn off the browser elections, you should set the service to
disabled.  But you should still leave two NT/2000 systems with it set to
automatic per subnet.