[wdmaudiodev] Re: Why would you want USB Audio 2.0 in Windows?

  • From: Frank Yerrace <Frank.Yerrace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:42:05 +0000

Thank you everyone that responded to my question both on the mailing list and
directly to me. The two primary benefits that most everyone mentioned were
higher formats (sample rate and/or channels) and control notification (e.g.
volume control change notification to host, removing the need to use HID
control and rely on host support). I have some follow up questions.

It seems most of the responses were in the context of pro or "prosumer"
products. What other classes of product have strong need for this? Is lack of a
built-in Windows driver for USB Audio 2.0 inhibiting development of products
that would appear on the shelves of retail stores (e.g. desktop speaker systems
for the average consumer)?

What is the typical business model for getting Windows drivers developed for
USB Audio 2.0 products that exist today? And why is that model not sufficient
to allow USB Audio 2.0 to thrive?

On your list of gripes or wishes regarding the Windows Vista and Windows 7
audio system, where does this lie? Near the top? Middle? Bottom?

I encourage open responses to the list but feel free to respond directly to me
if you would rather. And as always, thanks very much for your feedback.

Frank Yerrace
Microsoft