[wdmaudiodev] Re: Why would you want USB Audio 2.0 in Windows?

  • From: "David A. Hoatson" <dhoatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:11:20 -0800

Frank,

I understand the need to convince the upper-level management to get on-board
with developing something new.  Our VP of Marketing is famous for pushing
his "Faster, Cheaper, Better" phrase.  I think the phrase applies very well
in this instance.  Right now the choices for anything more than 16-bit/48kHz
are VERY limited.  The certainly limits the ability to create a product that
will work well with Windows.  USB Audio 2.0 does it faster and better, but
at the moment it certainly isn't cheaper.

If most of the responses were from the pro side, I think that is because we
are the people that care about higher quality audio the most... and trickle
down does work.  Satisfy the top end client and the lower end will thrive
filling the low-price-point void.  In other-words, if Microsoft makes the
price of entry to the market less expensive to develop, you will see the
consumer price-point fill with products.  ("If you build it, they will
come").

Besides, do they really want Apple to beat them with USB Audio 2.0? :-)

Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
www.lynxstudio.com <http://www.lynxstudio.com/>