[wdmaudiodev] Re: Why would you want USB Audio 2.0 in Windows?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:14:41 -0700

Geert Knapen wrote:
> However, having said this, it is probably very late in the game to
> create an Audio 2.0 class spec. As you may know, an effort is underway
> to create an AV specification that would eventually supersede both the
> Audio 2.0 and the Video 1.1 class spec. All of the functionality of
> the Audio 2.0 and Video 1.1 spec can be found in this new AV spec plus
> some additional functionality, especially in the video realm
> (multi-window video composition, support for metadata such as
> subtitles, and much more).

I don't understand this comment.  There is no need to "create an Audio
2.0 class spec" -- the specification was created and approved in 2006,
right?  Are you trying to say that it may not make sense for Microsoft
to invest in an Audio 2.0 Class driver at this point, because of its
imminent replacement?  If so, I would dispute that assertion.  Any new
spec is undoubtedly still several years away, and popular adoption
several years beyond that.  In the meantime, Audio 2.0 hardware is here NOW.