[wdmaudiodev] Re: StartDevice Empty Resource List?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:42:28 -0700

Revan Foly wrote:
> I now have been able to use the DMusUART and MPU401 adapter Sample to
> create an installable driver that frankly does nothing so far. I
> understand quite a bit of whats going on in the miniport part of the
> driver and stripped the DMusUART sample of most hardware related stuff.
>
> Where I'm stuck now is the part where the virtual Device ist started
> and the MIDI ports are created (i.e. the MIDI Pin of the miniport
> driver is connected to a resource i believe). As opposed to Tobias'
> virtualMIDI driver, i do not require dynamic creation of ports, so I
> added an interfaces section to my inf file:
>
> [vmidi.NTamd64.Interfaces]
> AddInterface=%KSCATEGORY_AUDIO%,%KSNAME_Wave%,vmidi.Wave
> AddInterface=%KSCATEGORY_RENDER%,%KSNAME_Wave%,vmidi.Wave
> AddInterface=%KSCATEGORY_CAPTURE%,%KSNAME_Wave%,vmidi.Wave

If you are a MIDI device, you probably want KSCATEGORY_SYNTHESIZER.  I'm
not sure you want KSCATEGORY_CAPTURE.  Did you copy this from a WAVE INF
file, or from another MIDI INF file?

> [vmidi.Wave.AddReg]
> HKR,,CLSID,,%Proxy.CLSID%
> HKR,,FriendlyName,,"VMIDI Wave"

You are not a WAVE device.  The friendly name should probably not say so.

> And indeed DbgView shows that the system is calling the startDevice
> function of the adapterpart of the driver, however apparently the
> ResourceList is empty and therefore no Miniport is created. If i
> circumpass the if checking the ResourceList for entries, I create a
> bluescreen.

This is a virtual device, right?  Why would you expect to have any
resources at all?