[wdmaudiodev] Re: StartDevice Empty Resource List?

  • From: Matthew van Eerde <Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:38:40 +0000

I believe the MSVad audio driver in the Windows Driver Kit exposes a MIDI path.
I believe in addition to exposing a MIDI pin factory, you need to register your
filter factory in the KSCATEGORY_AUDIO device interface.

From: Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:27:00 +0000
The MMDevices key is for audio devices only, not MIDI devices. You can
enumerate MIDI devices using the MIDI enumeration APIs.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2012/09/21/enumerating-midi-devices.aspx

From: xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:27:07 +0200

It doesn't appear under any of the WDM categories in graphedt?

No, only the virtual HD Audio sound card.
The service name can be chosen arbitrarily.  However, the system will not allow
you to have two services with different names but the same "DisplayName".
That's probably what you were running into.  Had you deleted the old one, you
could have added the new one.
Thanks, right on spot :)
________________________________
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:15:19 -0700
From: timr@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:timr@xxxxxxxxx>
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx>
Max K wrote:

No, I can only see the MIDI ports of my other MIDI devices, what do you mean by
instantiate in this context?

It doesn't appear under any of the WDM categories in graphedt?

I had some odd behaviour on my virtual testing machine, whenever I change the
name property of the AddService directive in my inf file, devcon and my own
installer wouldn't install the driver anymore. Accordingly to MSDN, the name
property can be chosen randomly, and it worked again after I have reverted my
VM to an earlier state, but after that I couldn't change it again. Is that a
sign for a problem with the driver?

--

Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:timr@xxxxxxxxx>