[wdmaudiodev] Re: StartDevice Empty Resource List?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 14:50:50 -0700

Max K wrote:

> okay after more programming and research I have now my own,
> specialized, version based on Eugenes code and the devcon install
> sample code, i used a few more updated funtions. However I couldn't
> notice any part where a PDO is created, maybe in the
> SetupDiCallClassInstaller function?

Yes.  "Devcon install" creates a structure in memory, and
SetupDiCallClassInstaller creates the kernel structures that result in
your driver being loaded.

> >> I use DPInst to do my pre-installs
>
> well aparently the Class Installer called by devcon copies the .sys to
> system32/drivers already, so what use DPInst for?

If you use "devcon install" you don't need DPInst.  However, you can't
distribute devcon.exe with your driver packages, so when you want this
to be used by other people, you'll need something else.

> So a few new questions pop up:
> Also you mentioned that you could use either the PNP or a Service
> Manager, which one is preferred?

The multimedia device classes require the use of device interfaces.
Those will only work in a PnP driver.

> Is there a tool that i can use to display the PDOs on the various busses?

The registry has them all, but it includes devices that existed in the
past but don't right now.  You can get this information from the kernel
debugger.

> Do I need to recreate the PDO on each system start?

The device that "devcon install" creates is tucked in the registry in
CurrentControlSet\Enum, and should be re-created on each boot.