[wdmaudiodev] Re: StartDevice Empty Resource List?

  • From: Max K <xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:34:07 +0200

Hi,

I have written my own midi device enumeration program already using SetupAPI,
however I usually use KSstudio or grapdedit now anyways.

My problem is not to enumerate the device but to make my MIDI device show up in
the list, according to MSDN, all I have to do for that is to expose a MIDI pin,
but that doesn't seem to suffice.

Regards,
Max

From: Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wdmaudiodev] Re: StartDevice Empty Resource List?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:27:00 +0000

The MMDevices key is for audio devices only, not MIDI devices. You can
enumerate MIDI devices using the MIDI enumeration APIs.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2012/09/21/enumerating-midi-devices.aspx

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:27:07 +0200

It doesn't appear under any of the WDM categories in graphedt?

No, only the virtual HD Audio sound card.

The service name can be chosen arbitrarily.  However, the system will not allow
you to have two services with different names but the same "DisplayName".
That's
 probably what you were running into.  Had you deleted the old one, you could
have added the new one.

Thanks, right on spot :)

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:15:19 -0700

From: timr@xxxxxxxxx

To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

CC: xaseriii@xxxxxxxxxx

Max K wrote:

No, I can only see the MIDI ports of my other MIDI devices, what do you mean by
instantiate in this context?

It doesn't appear under any of the WDM categories in graphedt?

I had some odd behaviour on my virtual testing machine, whenever I change the
name property of the AddService directive in my inf file, devcon and my own
installer wouldn't install the driver
 anymore. Accordingly to MSDN, the name property can be chosen randomly, and it
worked again after I have reverted my VM to an earlier state, but after that I
couldn't change it again. Is that a sign for a problem with the driver?