[vi-kindle] Re: Longing for a Kindle but wondering ...

  • From: Craig Werner <craig_werner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 22:05:37 -0400

Hello, Kimber and all list members.

Nan has put the case for the Kindle succinctly and accurately. I use my Kindle and also Kindle for PC, and both tools have made it possible to read many books that would be much more difficult to read using other methods. The Kindle has done much to close the information gap. Some of us have been sending comments to Amazon in an effort to let them know how useful the Kindle is and in an effort to make sure the Text to Speech function, which Amazon has labeled as "experimental," remains an option. Most books are indeed accessible. True, there is much work to be done on making the Kindle a more efficient reading tool, but waiting until the software gets better is simply a losing game. Why not take the plunge and buy one. I believe Amazon has a liberal refund policy in case you aren't satisfied. If you have question as you evaluate the Kindle, you'll find a supportive--albeit small--group on this list more than willing to offer knowledgeable assistance. I expect Monday's podcast will be worth your attention.

Craig

On 6/8/2012 12:51 PM,  (Nan Hawthorne <hawthorne%nanhawthorne.com>) wrote:
Kimber,

You may need help getting it set up for text to speech and Voice Guide
the first time.. but I am totally sure it will work for you. I just
worship mine. I'm an old literature major, a voracious reader, and my
Kindle Keyboard is tike a security blanket.. it is never more than a few
feet away. I'm a novelist, also, and the books I have found for
historical research have been mind boggling. It's not perfect, but it
may as well be. I swear, if someone made me choose between my Kindle and
my husband.. it would take me a minute to decide, and I would be sad to
lost my kindle.

The criticisms I have heard of it are:

1. The Shop in Kindle Store tool is not accessible. That doesn't strike
me as a problem since I would use the web site anyway.
2. The dictionary for the text to speech is far from perfect. Frankly,
it's downright funny at times.. I read a lot of historical fiction and
history and where it say '54, for example, it always reads it as 1954...
which can be a chuckle when you're reading about Queen Elizabeth I or
something. I don't mind it. The voice is as good as any I have heard.
3. You need sighted help to get it set up. I say not necessarily. I know
there are step by step instructions that totally blind people can use..
I bet Tim Emmonds has those.

Given that there are literally hundreds of thousands of books and you
don't have to wait for the book to go through the time and labor
intensive process of recording the book that is the case with NLS books
... the Kindle book generally comes out the same day as the print
book... the down sides are irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Another
plus is that if you have very specific tastes in books, as do I, you
will find Kindle books that simply NEVER will be on NLS because they
have too small a readership. Now one more plus.. you can read any
Microsoft .doc file on a Kindle.. and many many ebook sites make
versions that work on Kindle.

Go buy one.. you will never be the same again. I used to be a voice in
the wilderness with so many people saying it has to be totally
accessible or nothing.. in that time I can't tell you how many books I
have read.. dozens at least.

Nan Hawthorne, Historical Novelist
www.nanhawthorne.com

IndieBRAG Medallion Honoree for AN INVOLUNTARY KING: A TALE OF ANGLO
SAXON ENGLAND
http://www.bragmedallion.com/medallion-honorees/2012/an-involuntary-king-a-tale-of-anglo-saxon-england

"If we are to become friends I must laugh the way I really do."
Gabbo de la Parra

On 6/8/2012 6:02 AM, Kimber Gardner wrote:
Hi All,

I've been longing for a Kindle for ... well, forever, I suppose. But
I'm hesitant. Is the Kindle really usable for totally blind people?

I use the kindle for pc application on my laptop and it's better than
nothing, but if I am going to buy an actual Kindle I want more than
better than nothing. So would you tell me about your experiences?

Replying off-list is fine as this topic may not be relevant to anyone
but me. Send to kimbersinbox1963@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks,
Kimber

http://www.doteasy.com