[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:48:21 +0100

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> I've now downloaded:
>
> ftp://ftp.amigaemulator.org/pub/uae/sources/develop/uae-0.8.27.tar.bz2
>
> Although I notice there's also a 0.8.28 dated Nov 28  2007, but I'll
> leave that for now.

Hmm.  The latest build on my hard disk identifies itself as 0.8.27,
which is why I quoted that, but you're right.  Please do use the latest
version.

> This version builds OK, but completely fails to recognise my existing
> (working) hardfile ("Bad hardfile geometry").

What's the line in your config file, and what's the geometry of your
hardfile?

> After hitting "reset" to
> start emulation, I get "Illegal instruction: 0c0c at 04202ff0"
> repeatedly, the CPU utilisation for uae hits 100%, and it (and the whole
> system) becomes incredibly slow. The "UAE Screen" doesn't respond to the
> close gadget, even after I've closed the "UAE Control" GUI, and hitting
> Ctrl-C in the terminal dumps me to a debugger rather than quitting. I
> then need to open another terminal (or tab) to kill -9 the process.

Any other messages that might give a clue what's wrong?  Did you
configure it with a Kickstart ROM etc.?

> WRT how to actually create a new hardfile, I must admit I'm a bit confused.

The menu item does not create a hardfile, it's for adding an existing one.

> The first stumbling block is that it asks for a filename for the /new/
> hardfile, but then complains when that file doesn't already exist. This
> is somewhat counter-intuitive. OK, so using the previously created blank
> hardfile, I then need to fill in the geometry data. The info I need to
> supply is:
>
> Reserved blocks
> Surfaces
> Block size
> Blocks per track
> Boot priority
>
> How does this correlate to the information you gave earlier: "512 bytes
> per sector, 1024 sectors per track"?

Reserved blocks - I don't think it really matters, I used 2
Surfaces - doesn't matter either, 1 or 2
Block size 512
Blocks per track 1024
Boot priority - whatever you want it to be, probably -5 to start with.

> Surely all the above could simply be replaced by "size", and the
> software could fill in sensible values automatically (with the option to
> customise them), since I think most people would be utterly lost at this
> point.

Okay.  The problem is that for an existing hardfile you need the exact
values, while for a new one it doesn't really matter.

Bernd