[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: "timofonic timofonic" <timofonic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:32:33 +0000

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> timofonic timofonic wrote:
>
>> I'm very interested in E-UAE, but I see the latest version comes from
>> several months ago. I see WinUAE has interesting stuff lately, I would
>> like that both versions could be synced as I don't use WinUAE because
>> I don't use Microsoft products at all and prefer native versions for
>> my operating systems.
>
> What is it that you need from WinUAE that UAE and E-UAE don't have?
>

> Bernd

Hello.

It's not just about what do users need from WinUAE that UAE and E-UAE
don't have, that's the smaller part of the problem.

The important thing is having an alive and maintained project that is
available on different platforms so people can enjoy their Amiga
software on any kind of platform and then Amiga can survive over the
years thanks to that project.

WinUAE is for Microsoft platforms, E-UAE is multiplatform. The problem
is that both need a project infrastructure, look at other successful
Free/Open Source projects and you will see what is needed.

I'll repeat my example of ScummVM as it seems quite interesting to me.
Thanks to ScummVM, lots of people is able to play adventure games on
different platforms and the adventure gaming started to rise again
too. Maybe a proper multiplatform emulator with a big community and a
proper community project infrastructure could revitalize both the
Amiga emulation and the Amiga community too.

I hope to be wrong, but it seems certain developers don't understand
how successful FOSS projects work and how communities are important
for the progress of the projects.

Regards.