[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: Stefan Reinauer <stepan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bernds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:24:25 +0100

timofonic timofonic wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm very interested in E-UAE, but I see the latest version comes from
> several months ago. I see WinUAE has interesting stuff lately, I would
> like that both versions could be synced as I don't use WinUAE because
> I don't use Microsoft products at all and prefer native versions for
> my operating systems.
>
> It's a bit sad that WinUAE becomes still only for Microsoft platforms
> instead choosing a multiplatform approach like E-UAE, this could
> benefit more users as more developers could be able to test it and
> make the source code more robust between platforms and available to
> everyone wanting to enjoy the software for this nice computer called
> Amiga. I hope someday all this end in a merger of all UAE forks and
> then all parts will be happier than now.
>
> How look at projects like ScummVM, their multiplatform way makes them
> more popular and used by a lot more people. They even participate on
> Google Summer of Code and won awards from Sourceforge and such :)
>
> Why slows news in E-UAE? Does it needs more developers? What about
> finding developers and making it a more open project? It could be
> interesting to make a public forum, register it in cia.vc, put a
> project blog, an irc channel...

Hi Timofonic,

I agree with you that the many different forks of UAE out there hurt the
project in some ways. Many people I know switched to WinUAE from
upstream UAE because it seems much more actively developed, and has a
bunch of interesting features that upstream is lacking.

I remember in earlier times there were some objections from Bernd
Schmidt wrt some of the code from WinUAE but that might well have been
before Toni took over. I think its mostly the effort of merging the
different forks together without messing up code functionality and
coding styles too much is what is keeping anyone from doing this.

Also, all UAE forks seem to be heavily maintainer centric. Toni holds
control over WinUAE, Bernd holds control over UAE and Rich Drummond does
E-UAE.

You say "What about finding developers"... yeah... What about it?
Unfortunately capable people don't exactly grow on trees, and the
communication is a bit scattered these days. I get mails from 2 UAE
related mailing lists. One of them is weird yahoo stuff. Then there are
or were forums (Personally I think forums are the worst possible method
of communication if you want to keep the project progress oriented,
because the interesting information drowns in "me too" crap.)

I'm currently hosting the main UAE site on www.amigaemulator.org. I'll
happily open up an UAE svn repository and register it to cia.vc, create
a MediaWiki or blog instance for it, and I'll happily invite anyone to
join #amigaemulator on  irc.freenode.net, but I probably won't have time
to do any or much development on UAE these days. So if there's any
takers, please drop me a note and I'll set up some infrastructure on
amigaemulator.org.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Stefan