[uae] Re: Hardfiles

  • From: "Keith G. Robertson-Turner" <uae-freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:05:26 +0100

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 19:45, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 22. Juli 2004 07:29 schrieb Keith G. Robertson-Turner:
>
> > Dunno why, but I think you also need a 'hardfile2' entry, like mine:
> >
> > hardfile2=rw,:/home/kgr/amiga/hardfiles/Workbench.hdf,0,0,0,512,0,
> > hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/home/kgr/amiga/hardfiles/Workbench.hdf
> >
> > Ignore the weird disk geometry of this disk. It's due to the fact that
> > it's a RDB hardfile (so I could format it with PFS/3).
> >
> > What is this 'hardfile2' stuff anyway, or is this some kind of throwback
> > to WinUAE?
>
> Hello Keith,
>
> I was now trying to setup a hardfile by for storing the YAM messagebase in. I
> like to use a RDB hardfile with SmartFilesystem 1.227 (AmiNet).
>
> But it doesn't work here. I tried these variants:

To be honest, I have no idea how to create an RDB Hardfile using dd; the
hardfiles I have now were created a long time ago using WinUAE's
interface. Maybe the procedure is the same, but just specifying the
geometry in the uaerc makes all the difference. However, you tried that
without success, so I dunno.

> hardfile2=rw,:/home/martin/Amiga/Messages.hardfile,0,0,0,512,0,
> hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/home/martin/Amiga/Messages.hardfile
> #hardfile2=rw,:/dev/hda9,0,0,0,512,0,
> #hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/dev/hda9

> I am just frustrated that 2-3 weeks after getting my notebook I
> still was not able to migrate my message and read my E-Mail with YAM on the
> notebook. I thought this was going to work out simplier.

AFAICT the only 100% fool-proof way of transferring mail messages, from
any client on any platform, to any other client on any other platform,
is to copy the whole message file/folder to an IMAP server, configure
the new client to access that server, then copy all the messages in one
go to the local folders. You can set up your own IMAP on a Linux box
quite easily. WorksForMe®.

--
Regards,

K.