[uae] Re: Hardfiles

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:59:45 +0200

Am Montag, 26. Juli 2004 20:45 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:

> Hello Keith,
>
> I was now trying to setup a hardfile by for storing the YAM messagebase in.
> I like to use a RDB hardfile with SmartFilesystem 1.227 (AmiNet).
>
> But it doesn't work here. I tried these variants:
>
> hardfile2=rw,:/home/martin/Amiga/Messages.hardfile,0,0,0,512,0,
> hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/home/martin/Amiga/Messages.hardfile
> #hardfile2=rw,:/dev/hda9,0,0,0,512,0,
> #hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/dev/hda9
>
> Just for testing I made /dev/hda9 world-writable. I created a 2 GB hardfile
> with dd for Messages.hardfile.
>
> Now it seems UAE seems to detect both variants, but when I then want to go
> into HDToolBox with "uaehf.device" it says it detects a harddisk at
> uaehf.device, unit 0, LUN 0 and then simply hangs.  I tried HDToolbox from
> OS 3.9 and the older one from Amiga Forever 6.

Hello,

I found some strange results:

When I let the setting "Idle on HALT instruction" disabled I get the following
behaviour:

HDToolBox actually opens uaehf.device and also shows a hardfile drive. I can
select it and get to the window displaying the drive configuration. But then
when I click "Install" again it hangs. Also when I click "Read drive
configuration".

Again both with a real harddisk partition as hardfile or a usual file created
with dd. I made both a little under 2GB.

So this at least is a step further.

I also noted that when "Idle on HALT instruction" is disabled I sometimes get
a rather fast keyboard and such a short doubleclick time that its hard to
make any doube click being recognized as such at all. This was the behaviour
I had with the Amiga Forever setup.

Well I get an idea: I think I will disable that synchronize clock feature
again. No, it ain't that easy, why should it. That thing is playing games
with me. This doesn't change a thing. At least not regarding the HDToolbox
stuff. Maybe it fixed that fast keyboard and short double click time when
"Idle on HALT instruction" is disabled.

Ok, now trying with UAE 0.8.23 from the APT repository at Rich's website.
No, the same thing.

If "Idle on HALT instruction" is disabled it does hangs when I press
"Install". Otherwise it already hangs when scanning uaehf.device.

Regards,