[uae] Re: Hardfiles

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:45:30 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 22. Juli 2004 07:29 schrieb Keith G. Robertson-Turner:

> Dunno why, but I think you also need a 'hardfile2' entry, like mine:
>
> hardfile2=rw,:/home/kgr/amiga/hardfiles/Workbench.hdf,0,0,0,512,0,
> hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/home/kgr/amiga/hardfiles/Workbench.hdf
>
> Ignore the weird disk geometry of this disk. It's due to the fact that
> it's a RDB hardfile (so I could format it with PFS/3).
>
> What is this 'hardfile2' stuff anyway, or is this some kind of throwback
> to WinUAE?

Hello Keith,

I was now trying to setup a hardfile by for storing the YAM messagebase in. I
like to use a RDB hardfile with SmartFilesystem 1.227 (AmiNet).

But it doesn't work here. I tried these variants:

hardfile2=rw,:/home/martin/Amiga/Messages.hardfile,0,0,0,512,0,
hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/home/martin/Amiga/Messages.hardfile
#hardfile2=rw,:/dev/hda9,0,0,0,512,0,
#hardfile=rw,0,0,0,512,/dev/hda9

Just for testing I made /dev/hda9 world-writable. I created a 2 GB hardfile
with dd for Messages.hardfile.

Now it seems UAE seems to detect both variants, but when I then want to go
into HDToolBox with "uaehf.device" it says it detects a harddisk at
uaehf.device, unit 0, LUN 0 and then simply hangs.  I tried HDToolbox from OS
3.9 and the older one from Amiga Forever 6.

I tried with my freshly installed AmigaOS 3.9 system. And I also wanted to try
with my Amiga Forever 6 setup but it was unusable. Keyboard repeat was so
fast that I couldn't type a word and Workbench didn't open a single icon I
clicked at.

Seems that today nothing I touch seems to work out. ;-(((

At least I actually found that timehack source and found out that it actually
supports timezones but I have to set it within the emulated Amiga which makes
sense to me.

Better leave that UAE stuff alone for this evening. Why can't it just work
like the rest of my Linux setup? Note: This is no rant or accusation or
anything. I am just frustrated that 2-3 weeks after getting my notebook I
still was not able to migrate my message and read my E-Mail with YAM on the
notebook. I thought this was going to work out simplier. And no, I won't
install Windows for that, I am already used to my Debian setup and don't want
to miss it.

Regards,