[tunerpro] Re: Glitchy Data Aquisition Readings, etc...

  • From: "David Allen" <davida1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tunerpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:45:32 -0600

Jason - I have fought the same issue you mention. Maybe this will help those
with same issues, as well as possibly help Mark with future revisions! But I
don't think it has anything to do with his software.

I've had it with several P4-class ECM's (1227730, 1227749, Buick 3800SFI), as
well as several different programs ($A1, $59, other factory cals). The readings
are "glitchy." Normally displaying "good data" and jumping for an instant to
"garbage" data and back to "good." When using the "Data Dash" it looks like
jumpy twitchy needles.

Before this problem, I had a Dell D610 laptop with a hard-wired DB9 serial
port. I was using a home-made MAX232 comm adapter. With this setup, I got 8 to
9 Hz sample rate, with zero errors.

Then, I got a new laptop - a Dell E6400. It has NO hardwired serial ports, only
USB. I installed a Radio Shack USB-Serial cable (a GOOD one) and got the MAX232
comm adapter to work, however the "glitchy data" issue appeared.

So, I ordered a Moates Xtreme ALDL comm adapter. (can't remember the part
number) It's got built-in USB-serial chip. It worked, first-try without any
problems (like everything Craig Moates sells); however I still had the same
glitchy data as with the USB-Serial cable and MAX232 adapter.

Mind you, this was all the same car and ECM. So I thought maybe the ECM was
going out. I got my old laptop back out (has damaged screen and bad battery)
and connected it with the hard-wired MAX232. No glitches,  perfect data.
Updated Tuner Pro to same latest version as my new laptop. Still no glitches of
any sort.

Next, I installed the USB-serial cable to the old laptop. This had worked
glitch-free with the hard-wired interface. With USB-Serial cable, I had the
glitching data just like the new laptop.
The Moates USB comm adapter also gave the glitchy data on my old laptop.

So - it is something within the USB conversion process.  The laptop won't let
me see the settings without the USB cable connected. Later today I'll take a
screen-shot of the working USB settings.  They may have to be adjusted a little
for different laptop I don't know.  After tweaking the settings, I was able to
get glitch-free data aquisition.

As for the Auto Tune, the guys at Code59.org have something close to what you
describe. Their Auto Tune is an Excel spreadsheet. You copy/paste the VE tables
from TunerPro to the spreadsheet, import the datalog, and it gives you a new VE
table to paste back into the program. It's only for the fuel, not spark though.
I was able to tune a Buick front-wheel-drive engine starting from the Syclone
4.3 calibration. Other than manually tuning the idle; the Auto Tune got me 25
MPG and over 400 HP. Can't argue that!

Hope this helps! Will have more in the USB settings later.

Sncerely,
David