[triadtechtalk] Re: index.dat

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:46:50 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/02 10:16:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
iloveanimalstheytastegood@xxxxxxx writes:

> The C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files folder never has anything in it
> except the Content.IE5 folder while the Temporary Internet Files folder
> that in the Local Settings folder always has a lot of stuff in it which I
> delete from time to time.
> So, why do I have 2 Temporary Internet Files folders and why do I have 2
> IE5 folders and is it ok to have four locations with index.dat files?
>
> Confused Jeff

Can't answer all your questions Jeff but maybe I can supply a little insight.
The file you have in local settings is usually found in Temp Internet
files\Content IE5\index.dat................ this file continues to grow as
files pass thru Temp Internet.........
you can dump the cache of files but the index.dat file still keeps a record
of those files...
the file is locked......... the only way to get to it is thru DOS and that is
difficult.
I replied to Lance yesterday in a post about PurgeIE............... with a
link to Movonb........... check that app, it will delete any file you select
on boot..... before the file is locked by windows.
You have to select files to delete from the properties sheet and you have to
select it every time you want to delete........... I thought mine had quit
running but it's a one time deal............ i used it yesterday to delete
index.dat from Temp Internet, a file of 3.5mb.
This morning I checked and it didn't delete when I booted.......... you have
to click on the wizard in the tab provided on the properties
it's confusing as hell........... try it and if you have problems I'll try to
those other index.dat files I'd leave alone although Windows will generate a
new one if you delete one............. it comes back so I don't bother......