[triadtechtalk] Re: New Hard Drive

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:07:46 -0800 (PST)

Jim, I started to reply to you when AVG said it found
"Nachi worm" at around noon.

From there on, everything went downhill. Blaster, Lov
San, & every other POC kept coming and Zone Alarm would
not load its "true vector" and would not keep them at
bay, nachi had already done its magic.

Svchost & ports all went to smitherings and so did the
patch MS03-026 from you know 'hoot' and in the meantime
I could feel my BP rising after each and every failed
attempt to overcome this and then...

I booted into Win98 in Safe Mode, formatted my
(E:\)Win2K partition and I proceeded to install my
backup by the following command:
xcopy32 F:\Win2KBU\*.* E:\ /s/e/r/v/k/f/c/h

Voila'..., mon ami! All is as it should be and quiet on
the Western Digital disk.

While in Win98 Safe Mode I had one day made a clone of
my Win2K partition like so:
xcopy32 E:\*.* F:\Win2KBU /s/e/r/v/k/f/c/h

That is why I don't opt for NTFS. I use FAT32 and not
one of my disks has a partition larger than 10 GB.
Faster to scandisk & defragment.

Now, to answer your question, TI makes an image from
which you can restore a damaged file, a folder, or an
entire partition.

You cannot copy an image and expect it to boot as if it
were an installation. Thus, you now installed a clone
of your HDD to another HDD and then booted that.

An image will not boot because it doesn't copy the boot
sector(s). A clone is a sector by sector copy.

That is why when using xxcopy to clone a HDD, you must
afterwards "fdisk /mbr" the clone in order to make it
bootable. I've never tried to see if this (fdisk /mbr)
would work if I were to copy an image into a HDD, but
I've never owned a copy of an imaging software. I've
banked on xxcopy or xcopy32 from within a Windows98
environment while in Safe Mode to do my backup.

Maybe that's one more reason why I don't XPect to be
using XP any time soon. You can't xxcopy /clone nor
xcopy32 /s/e/r/v/k/f/c/h any XP.

armando
8)

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:32:02 -0600, "Jim Moss" wrote:

Thanks A. I have cloned the hd, but did not understand
how it would work.  Actually the new hd and utilities
is all I really need in order to replace the old one.
The TI backup is then like a restore program for an
existing hd?
I appreciate your clearing up my thinking.
Jim Moss