[triadtechtalk] Consistent crashes W-98

  • From: "The Prusik's at Bunkered Inn" <79erkilo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 01:33:02 -0600

    I am trying to help a "Puter Pal who consistently runs a heavy traffic
regular newsletter for veterans.  He is continuously having to battle computer
crashes and needs a little insight into how to resolve the situation.  Here is
what I have on his equipment:

----MS Win 98; 2nd Edition; Pentium III; 192 MB RAM
    The computer is an eMachine, you know, the one you buy for the kids to
learn on.
    I've replaced the drive and I don't remember what size it is ... 1.2 Gig or
something like that.  The original, 500 MHz, is now a slave drive, but I don't
use it.
    I just checked my System Resources and it is 45% free ... I've NEVER seen
it that low.  It usually runs at about 90% free.

    After reviewing a few things with him he says:

    I have heard many contradicting stories about Windows XP.  My daughter
swears by it.  I also understand that XP repairs a lot of the security glitches
we have on Win 98.  I don't know ... I have Win 98 and I ain't paying for a new
version of Windows.
    I use Start-Up Cop, too.  I also have a program called EndItAll, which is
similar but MUCH stronger and more permanent.
    I constantly delete cookies, temp files, etc.  I learned about that a long
time ago and sometimes I think I might be over doing it.
    I have my computer set to automatically scan disk and defrag.  Still, I do
it myself at least every other day and sometimes, every day.  Usually, I set it
to run before I get in the shower, because it takes so damned long.
    I don't have a firewall.  At one time, AOL offered a free firewall and I
downloaded it.  With the firewall, I could go nowhere!  I was blocked from
doing anything or going to any site that had cookies ... don't they all?  I
removed the firewall and decided to just keep my eyes open and keep Norton
running constantly.
    I'd like to know more about the Ram defragger.

    I have a feeling I could point out a few problems but would rather get an
opinion from the experts if you wouldn't mind.
Thanks
Donna P.
P.S., one of these days I'll get back to the MSIM problem--not now.
DP