[TN-Butterflies] Lower Hatchie Count

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:50:36 -0500

Hi Everyone,
This Saturday we will do the last summer count of the season at Lower Hatchie.
We will meet at Woodard's Store off Hwy. 87, approx. 6 miles west of US 51 in
Henning, at 9:30.  We will count around the Silphium patches there at the
store, then go to the bridge over Cold Creek and count there and along the
road.  After that we will visit Sunk Lake State Natural Area.  We will proceed
to Tully-Anderson WMA and count along the gravel roads through the WMA and boat
ramps.  The last stop will be the Lower Hatchie NWR.  Bring your lunch, $3 fee,
and prepare for temps in the low 90s.

The Lower Hatchie Count traditionally has the largest overall numbers of
butterflies and great sulphur diversity.  This is a very reliable count for
Southern Dogfaces with over 50 seen on several occasions.  Dainty Sulphurs have
been seen occasionally during good years and Little Yellows are reliable.
Other uncommon species seen on this count are Funereal Duskywing (twice), Phaon
Crescent (twice), and Bronze Copper (8 individuals were seen last year).  If
conditions are optimal with good moisture in the gravel roads, numbers of
Hackberry Emperors, Eastern Commas, and American Snouts can be huge.

I hope you can make it, and if you haven't already told me you were planning to
attend, please let me know.  It should be a great day.

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby Co.