[TN-Bird] Re: Franklin County, Winchester Whoopers Still Here

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:04:57 -0500 (EST)

The main issue here as I see it is the concern of the cranes
becoming habitualized to humans which can put them at extreme
risk.  Consider the time, effort and expense that the Operation
Migration folks have put in to insure that the cranes do not
come to see humans as a source of food, etc. but something to
fear.

Perhaps those questioning Michael's comments haven't heard of
the events last winter in NC.  A group of these introduced
Whooping Cranes sat down in a rural area in western NC.  News
quickly spread of their whereabouts and soon it was a full-
blown circus despite the best efforts of the Operation Migration
team to keep people away.  Some people merely stopped alongside
the road to view the cranes in the nearby field.  Some decided
they wanted to get 'just a little closer' for a better photo.
Others decided they would walk out across the field, cross a fast
moving stream at risk of life and limb, so they could walk up
and try to pet and feed the cranes.  As I remember it, one
person even drove up and tried to load one of the cranes into
his car!

Now the response will be 'Oh we would never do anything like
that.'  And you probably wouldn't.  But other folks who learn
of the cranes' location might.  Even well-meaning birders and
bird photographers.  Remember, this IS an endangered species.
Consider the ABA Code of Ethics.  Also, look at the Operation
Migration website and see what they have to say on the issue.

To finish the story, this winter, there were, I think, 4
Whooping Cranes that overwintered in the Carolinas but no
information at all has been released to give their location...
even, to my knowledge, which state ... NC or SC.

I think Michael was right on.  Good job.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN