[TN-Bird] Re: Franklin County, Winchester Whoopers Still Here

  • From: "Michael Roedel" <Michael.Roedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:00:17 -0600

In regard to messages posted about the location of whooping cranes in
Tennessee...

We realize and appreciate the excitement at being able to observe
wintering whooping cranes in Tennessee.  However, we would ask that
until the population is established, birders refrain from broadcasting
the exact location of the birds on the list or elsewhere.

The USFWS and their partners have expended a great deal of effort and
money in this reintroduction campaign.  At this time, there are only
about 50 birds in the entire eastern migratory population.  Each of
these birds has been pen raised in situations where they never actually
see humans.  We work very hard to assure that they do not become
habituated to humans.  Such habituation makes humans seem less of a
threat to the birds.  That loss of fear of humans has occasionally
resulted in the death of a bird.

We realize that nearly everyone wants the opportunity to observe these
majestic birds in the wild.  Please be patient and thoughtful of the
needs of the species.  It is very important that these whooping cranes
be given as much privacy as possible in this crucial reintroduction
stage.  The entire world population is still very small.  The genetic
diversity is very low.  Every bird matters.   If this reintroduction is
compromised, we could lose this species and absolutely no one wants that
to happen.

If you feel you must go to see these birds, please keep these things in
mind.  Remind anyone you see disturbing the birds, or trying to get
closer for photos, of these facts.  Hopefully in a few years time this
population will be large enough that we can all enjoy seeing this bird
on a regular basis.  For more information on the whooping crane
reintroduction project see:

http://www.bringbackthecranes.org/index.html

Michael Roedel, State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency