[TN-Bird] Re: Hamilton co. birds (early Stilt Sandpiper)

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: kac@xxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:38:30 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2005 10:19:57 A.M. Central Standard Time,
kac@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
1 basic  plumaged STILT SANDPIPER.  This is the
earliest record I can find for  SE TN.  The earliest for the state in
Robinson's book is 10 March,  1985 in Shelby county.  Jeff Wilson, what is
your earliest  record?

There is a small movement of Stilt Sandpipers the last week of  March and the
first week of April, with the following first arrival dates in the  past;
3/23-3/20- 3/30- 3/31 - 4/5 - 4/5 etc. Then the major movement of  numbers is
in
the last week or so of April. My earliest arrival in TN was 3/15  some years
ago but just 20 miles below Memphis in MS, just a few years back I  had a small
group in the middle of February. At the time I was taking a photo of  an
immature TRI-COLORED HERON that decided to winter near the fish ponds.
Needless
to say an unusual combination for the area in Feb.

Now, there is a huge number of shorebirds wintering in the west central
Mississippi delta rice fields. Many thousands of Long-billed Dowitcher  are
seen
using the rice fields along with fewer, Dunlin, Legs, Least Sandpipers  and
Western. I've not seen any Stilt Sandpipers but I would not be surprised  at
some
being in the mix. Gene Knight had 7 Stilts this past weekend in  MS, south of
Memphis which was early by his records by a few days. Things  are moving
earlier it seems and with consistent good coverage we might be able  to see a
trend over the next few years. Global Warming?

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN