[TN-Bird] Re: Franklin County, Winchester Whoopers Still Here

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rmhall@xxxxxxxx, mmcghee@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:25:36 -0800 (PST)

Hey fellas, lets ease up on Michael a bit here.  I don't think he was
saying we shouldn't see the cranes, or that we should keep them a big
secret.  He was urging caution.  I think that was a wise, timely and
important caution.

Sure, enjoy the birds when you see them.  Just be judicious about who
you tell, and under what circumstances.  If the birds are in an
enormous field and can be viewed from a good distance, as sounds like
your situation, then that is one thing.  However if I were to see
cranes in a spot that requires folks to get close for viewing, I'd
never post it to the list.

The key word here is judgment.  And I believe the majority if birders
have good judgement.  But I have seen situations where people were so
excited (for good reason) that they let their judgement fail them and
they disturbed the birds far too much.  It is up to birders to
prevent, or at least minimize this harm.  Call people on their
behavior in respectful but certain terms.

As far as birders helping the ornithologists, you have an excellent
point.  There is a lot of information the professionals have that
they would lack were it not for birders.  And more and more
ornithologists are recognizing this important, valuable asset.  And
more and more birders are realizing that by providing information to
the ornithologists, they are helping both themselves and the birds.

I am not an ornithologist, though sometimes I seem to come off as
one.  I am a birder who has some scientific training and lots of
scientific aspirations.  One of my life goals is to build a better
partnership between the people who are interested in bird populations
- birders, scientists, and even hunters and business interests.  We
all can (and in my opinion, should) work towards the goals we hold in
common.

And I hope every person in this state gets to see a Whooping Crane.
They are amazing.  I'm glad for all the work and money being put into
this recovery act.  I hope we all work to help it along.

Charlie

btw, as I write this, there is an Eastern Phoebe nest being built
outside my office window in Blount County.  And I am surprised not to
have heard a Louisiana Waterthrush song yet.  Any day now...

--- Martin Hall <rmhall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mack
> I agree with you too. With the limited number of Whoopers there are
> now =
> and
> the very slow rate that their numbers are growing, most of us will
> be =
> dead
> and gone by the time the cranes reach the numbers that Mr. Roedel
> thinks
> they should be before we try to see them. And like you say, who
> better =
> than
> birders to keep an eye on the cranes. Would the Ornithologist even
> know
> where the birds were if not for the birders? And as far as human
> interaction, you saw how far away the birds are from the road and
> on =
> private
> property too. They don't even know we're in the world. If anything
> would
> bother them it would be the industrial park and National Guard
> Armory =
> right
> across the road.
>
> I'm glad you and your wife got a chance to see the cranes. You
> never =
> know,
> you may never get a chance to see them again in your lifetime. Give
> me a
> call, I don't mind sharing information with other birders, even if
> they =
> work
> for the "Govment"
>
> Martin Hall
> Lynchburg, TN

SUBSCRIBER=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=

> The TN-Bird Net requires you to sign your messages with
> first and last name, city (town) and state abbreviation.
>
>   TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society=20
>        Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)
>         endorse the views or opinions expressed
>         by the members of this discussion group.
> =20
>          Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>                  wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
> Topographical Maps located at http://topozone.com/find.asp
>
>     =

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

>   TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>        Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)
>         endorse the views or opinions expressed
>         by the members of this discussion group.
>
>          Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>                  wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
> Topographical Maps located at http://topozone.com/find.asp

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson