[TN-Bird] Franklin County, Winchester Whoopers Still Here

  • From: "Martin Hall" <rmhall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:08:12 -0600

I went through Winchester this afternoon, Saturday, the 12th of March at
around 4:00 p.m. and decided to swing by and see if the three Whooping
Cranes were still in the area. They are still in the wet weather pond
directly behind the National Guard Amory in Winchester, which is in Franklin
County, TN. It's looks as if they've decided to winter with us this year.
The pond is very easy to find and by the looks of the grass along the
shoulder of the road, several people have been stopping to get a look at
them. The pond is also home to several Mallards, Gadwalls, Northern
Shovellers, Pintails and a pair of Black Ducks. But the stars of the show
are the Whoopers. I also thought to take along my GPS for those of you who
wanted coordinates. Here's the GPS position: N350 10' 26.5" - W0860 08'
13.2"  That's from the road about 300 yards east of the pond where the
cranes were. If you've never seen one, this is a very good chance
considering how long they've been in the area. If you can't find the NGA on
the west side of town, just ask any policeman in town. They'll be glad to
give you directions. Happy birding.

Martin Hall

Lynchburg, TN