[tinwhiskers] Exemption on high temperature lead solder

  • From: "Niki Steenkamp" <niki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:24:19 +0200

Hi,

I have been looking over some of the official RoHS documents and have seen
that there is an exemption on high temperature lead solder (more than 85%
lead).  Not having done any more research on the subject I was wondering:
* Why the exemption exists?
* Why not use more than 85% lead to circumvent the pure tin problem?  Maybe
the temperature is unacceptably high?

I also noticed that mercury is limited but not banned in fluorescent lights.
Just thinking of the millions of fluorescent lights being dumped in landfills
each year I cannot see how this can be viewed as acceptable while ALL lead
had to be removed from electronics.  Furthermore, lead in batteries are
exempt.  There is probably more lead in my car battery than in a thousand PC
motherboards and how many of these batteries end up in landfills each year?
Just seems strangely warped...

Regards,
Niki

E-mail Disclaimer