[tinwhiskers] Re: Exemption on high temperature lead solder

  • From: "Parnagian, Ed" <ed.parnagian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:14:22 +0200

Hi, Nikki!

Sorry, but my email app sorts from most recent down, so didn't notice that you
were the originator of these questions.  So here is my perspective.  And yes,
it seems inconsistent with the stated objectives of RoHS, but it is a good
example of what pushing back with data can achieve.

These high lead-content solders all have very high melting points.  They are
used by device manufacturers to make internal interconnects in devices that
have very high power densities.

The small amount of mercury in flouresent lights is part of the internal
coating on the glass.  And the fact that these tubes won't emit an acceptable
spectrum of light without the mercury.  Combine that with the prospect of
replacing all those flouresents with incandesents would consume even more
electricity.  And by the way, those tubes ought to be treated as hazardous
waste and turned into the local municipality as such, not put in the weekly
trash.  My town won't knowingly pick them up.

Best regards,
Ed