[tinwhiskers] Re: Conformal Coating ? When Reliability Goes Astray

  • From: "Wayt, John" <John.Wayt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:04:40 -0400

Hello everyone,

I was going to ask the question to the group at some point anyway, but
in light of the NASA comment I thought I'd ask now. Since they see it
necessary to re-plate their parts with tin/lead, does this mean that
there has not been adequate research into the use of trinary or
quaternary lead-free solder alloys for whisker mitigation or are they
not comfortable with the research that has been published?

John Wayt
Electronic Product Engineer
Sensus Metering Systems
450 North Gallatin Avenue