[tinwhiskers] RE: [tinwhiskers] Re: Conformal Coating ? When Reliability Goes Astray

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:13:44 -0400

John,

I can't speak for NASA but I do read and hear what they say and they say AVOID
pure tin at all costs.  While the solder alloys are not pure tin, the soldering
process does not wet the entire surface of the parts that have become pure tin
plated.  Furthermore, I'm told that no matter what the solder alloy is, if
there is pure tin under it, the pure tin still has a propensity to whisker and
push up through the alloy.

From http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/background/index.htm

Suggestions for Reducing Risk of Tin Whisker Induced Failures:

The uncertainties associated with tin whisker growth make it extremely
difficult to predict if/when tin whiskers may appear. The following list
provides some suggestions for reducing the risk of tin whisker induced failures.

   1.

      Avoid the use of PURE TIN plated components if possible. Utilization of
procurement specifications that have clear restrictions against the use of pure
tin plating is highly recommended. Most (but not all) of the commonly used
military specifications currently have prohibitions against pure tin plating.
Studies have shown that alloying tin with a second metal reduces the propensity
for whisker growth. Alloys of tin and lead are generally considered to be
acceptable where the alloy contains a minimum of 3% lead by weight. Although
some experimenters have reported whisker growth from tin-lead alloys, such
whiskers have also been reported to be dramatically smaller than those from
pure tin plated surfaces and are believed to sufficiently small so as not to
pose a significant risk for the geometries of today's microelectronics.

   2.

      Post Procurement It can be dangerous to rely on the part manufacturer's
certification that pure tin plating was not used in the production of the
product supplied. NASA GSFC is aware of several instances where the procurement
specification required "No Pure Tin", but the product supplied was later
determined to be pure tin.  In some of these instances, tin whisker growths
were also discovered.  Users are advised to analyze the plating composition of
the products received as an independent verification.

When simple avoidance of pure tin plating is not a viable option (such as in
cases where its use is discovered late in system integration/test), then the
following approaches may also be considered to reduce risk.

   1.

      Solder Dip the plated surfaces sufficiently using a tin-lead solder to
completely reflow and alloy the tin plating. Obviously, special precautions are
required to prevent thermal shock induced damage, to prevent loss of
hermeticity and to avoid thermal degradation. This approach may have limited
success since it may be difficult to ensure that the entire surface is properly
reflowed. See the April 2004 Photo of the Month for one example of the
limitations associated with this particular mitigation strategy.

   2.

      Replate the whisker prone areas. Some manufacturers may be willing to
strip the pure tin plate from finished products and re-plate using a suitable
alternate plating material such as tin/lead or Nickel.  Caution is advised if
considering use of an external plated finish (e.g., Sn-Pb or Cu) on top of an
existing pure tin deposit.  There is some evidence that whiskers may still form
from the pure tin layer and protrude through the thin external deposit.
   3.

      Conformal Coat or foam encapsulation over the whisker prone surface
appears to be beneficial but the limitations are not completely understood.
NASA GSFC experiments suggest that use of Uralane 5750 conformal can provide
some benefit by reducing the growth rate, but tin whiskers can grow through
conformal coating and once exposed can then short to other tin whiskers or
other exposed surfaces. See also a technical paper (~11 Mbytes) and
presentation (~19 Mbytes) by Dr. Tom Woodrow (Boeing) from 2005 in which he
evaluated 6 different conformal coat materials for purposes of inhibiting
whisker formation and subsequent shorting hazards.
      It has also been demonstrated experimentally that conformal coating can
restrict the availability of tin sufficiently to minimize the risk of plasma
formation. However, such factors as the minimum thickness of coating necessary
to prevent whisker growth or plasma formation have not been determined.
Similarly, it has been shown that foam can prevent sustained arcing but the
effects of foam type, foam density, pore size etc. have not been evaluated.
Additional studies and evaluations are underway to try to answer the critical
open questions in order to provide more detailed suggestions in the future.

   4.

      Evaluate Application Specific Risks.  A variety of application specific
considerations may be used to assess the risk of whisker induced failures and
assist in making "use as-is" or "repair/replace" decisions.  These factors
include circuit geometries that are sufficiently large to preclude the risk of
a tin whisker short, mission criticality, mission duration, collateral risk of
rework, schedule and cost. To assist in evaluating application specific risks,
David Pinsky (Raytheon) has developed a tin whisker risk assessment algorithm
which can be reviewed (note:  reference to this algorithm herein does not imply
endorsement by NASA).

      In 2002, Dr. Mike Osterman (CALCE Center at the University of Maryland)
published a white paper outlining pros and cons of assorted strategies for
mitigating risks associated with tin whiskers.

Responsible NASA Officials:

   Michael Sampson/NASA GSFC Code 306
   Dr. Henning Leidecker/NASA GSFC Code 562     Additional Researchers:

   Jong Kadesch/Orbital Sciences Corp.
   Jay Brusse/Perot Systems

Last Updated:

February 22, 2007

DISCLAIMER:
This website provides information about tin whiskers and related research. The
independent research performed during the past 50+ years is so vast that it is
impractical to cover all aspects of tin whiskers in this one resource.
Therefore, the absence of information in this website about a particular aspect
of tin whiskers should NOT be construed as evidence of absence.