[tinwhiskers] Re: Conformal Coating ? When Reliability Goes Astray

  • From: "Mark Vaughan" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:09:22 -0000

As far as I am aware the promotion of use of comformal coatings to aid RoHs
issues were not to help tin whiskers, but stop oxidisation of crystalline
tin joints.
Tin loves to form a crystal structure, plumbers tell the difference between
tin and solder bar, by bending the bar and listening to it, the crystalline
structure of tin will crackle.
With Pb joints the eutectic point, that is the potentially crystalline phase
during cooling lasts for about a 2 degree temperature change, with a Tin
based lead free solder that is around 39 to 42 degrees. This makes it very
difficult to ensure a manually soldered joint is a good one, especially when
the joint looks so damn awful in lead free. So there is a high probability
that manual joints with contain crystalline fishures that over time usually
a few days to weeks will oxidise and form a bad/dry joint. Using a conformal
coating stops the oxidation process and improves short term reliability.

As to tin whiskers, well I suppose if something is in the way like a
conformal coat then perhaps that might make it harder for the whisker to
penetrate, some two pack laquers are very very hard. But to make any further
comment requires more knowledge of how tin whiskers truly form, there's a
lot of conjecture, but it seems no one is 100% sure of the mechanism. Some
say it is an environmental reaction so a conformal coating might help, but
tin whiskers are problems in transistors of the 1960's and they are totally
sealed in a can. (actually give them a good whack with a hammer and it will
often break the whiskers to allow the transistor to function again, that?s
what the restorers do), I expect it's more related to the electrical current
flowing and voltage charges across the tin lattice structure. Some
crystalline structures are not complete and are said to have acute voids, in
which nucleation sites become seeded, brought on by electrical charge to
form crystals that due to differences in angles of the crystal and void
become ejected, sounds like a whisker to me.
Sadly this is not my field, trying to remember some college stuff 20 years
old, and I don't remember the differences with between pure and solvent
crystalline grow, so I may be talking bunkum, but I don?t think I'm far off.

Regs for now
Mark

Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU
Managing Director
Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068
Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351
Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.
Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288
RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)