[tinwhiskers] Re: Conformal Coating ? When Reliability Goes Astray

  • From: "Kane, Joseph E \(US SSA\)" <joseph.kane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:14:23 -0400

This could be a good forum.  Not sure who's signed on yet, but
I'll throw this out there.

In order to cause a failure, whiskers must grow straight enough and
long enough to contact an adjacent conductor.  They have to contact
the adjacent surface with enough force to make electrical contact, which
in some cases means penetrating through a second layer of conformal
coating on the other surface.  And they have to do this in the time
frame
that the product is in service.

Looking at the available literature, it seems like the following things
are
at least partly true, depending on circumstances.  Of course, your
mileage
may vary.

1. In some cases, conformal coat can delay the onset of whiskers (longer

incubation period).
2. In some cases, it can prevent whisker growth altogether.
3. In most cases, conformal coat slows down the growth rate.
4. For whiskers that grow through coating, most are gnarled, kinked, or
otherwise unlikely to cause a direct short.  It's possible that the
coating
causes this, e.g. maybe the stress of penetration affects the
morphology.
5. Whiskers may grow through coating, but may have a harder time
penetrating the coating on an adjacent conductor without buckling.

Any one of these effects may be pretty good mitigation.

As far as statistical models go, it seems like there are still too many
unknowns to make meaningful predictions.  But since the entire field
seems to
thrive on example and anecdote, I think it's worth asking this:

Does anyone know of a failure of a fine-pitch electronic component that
has
been conformal coated?

Furthermore, has anyone seen a picture of a long, straight whisker
that's
grown through a coating?

With all of the pure tin terminations that are out there, we should have
some
examples by now.

Joe Kane
BAE Systems