[tinwhiskers] Re: Conformal Coating? When Reliability Goes Astray

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:12:09 -0400

Not sure if the photo that Henning sent me with this reply will be sent to you
all but lets try it and see what happens.

(Henning, the article on conformal coating reliability is at this link
//www.freelists.org/archives/tinwhiskers/03-2008/msg00010.html)

-Bob Landman

Dear Bob,

I have placed some comments between some lines of what you mailed.

You may post this, if you wish...

Best,
Henning

The whisker must bridge between two conductors at different potentials, and
breakdown any insulating films.  We have seen this happen when the whisker bent
into an arch!  And, there would have been NO shorting, had all the whiskers
grown straight.

As for "long enough" --- yes, indeed.  On the other hand, this short was caused
by a whisker that was a few mils long --- i.e., some 0.1 mm long.

This is detailed at
http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/photos/pom/2003dec.htm

> They have to
> contact the adjacent surface with enough force to make electrical
> contact, which in some cases means penetrating through a second layer
> of conformal coating on the other surface.

Well said.

Many whiskers are doubtless in mechanical --- but NOT in electrical
--- contact: the tin oxide coating is thick enough to block current flow in
many cases.

We, and others, find that the tin oxide coating does not break down (to allow
current flow) until the potential exceeds some 0.05 V.

Most coatings require 0.3 V to 15 V to break down.  A few require more than 15
V, and the champion-to-date is 45 V.

The electronics of the Shuttle Endeavor (OV-105; launched a few days ago and
now docked to ISS) was found in 2006 to be threatened by between 100 and 300
million tin whiskers more than 0.5 mm long; many were over 5 mm long.  Many of
these had probably been present for more than 15 years.  But NO electrical
faults were logged by the Shuttle program as caused by whiskers. And clearly
the Endeavor has not suffered any major electrical outages.  Clearly, the
conformal coating was useful.

> And they have
> to do this in the time frame that the product is in service.

Well, "intended service" anyway.  "Service" may be over when the first serious
whisker-induced short happens.

Jay and I have seen whiskers on two-year old products, and lots of them on
five-year old products.

> Looking at the available literature, it seems like the following
> things are at least partly true, depending on circumstances.  Of
> course, your mileage may vary.
>
> 1. In some cases, conformal coat can delay the onset of whiskers
> (longer incubation period).

We saw a modest difference between both latency and density, between
coated and uncoated sides of our specimens.  Statistically
significant, but not enough to be really helpful to reliability.

> 2. In some cases, it can prevent whisker growth altogether.

We have not seen that.  The whiskers formed under the conformal
coating, and then grew at roughly the same density as on the
uncoated side.  (I do not mean that this growth prevention does not
ever happen; I only mean that this is not what our specimens
showed.)

> 3. In most cases, conformal coat slows down the growth rate.

Our whiskers extended their lengths about the same in the coated and
uncoated sections.  But the whiskers growing on the coated side
"crumpled" and so their "heights" stopped after reaching about one
mil.  So some folks might say, "NOT slowed", while other folks
might say, "Slowed", depending on whether they were thinking of
"arc length" or "elevation above coating".

> 4. For whiskers that grow through coating, most are gnarled,
> kinked, or otherwise unlikely to cause a direct short.  It's
> possible that the coating causes this, e.g. maybe the stress of
> penetration affects the morphology.

No whiskers at all have penetrated the 2.0 mm thick Uralane 5750
coating on our specimens.  Many tens of thousands have tried, and
crumpled.

> 5. Whiskers may grow through
> coating, but may have a harder time penetrating the coating on an
> adjacent conductor without buckling.

For realistic dimensions, the whisker may dimple into the distant
coating by up to a few dozen angstroms; then, it buckles.  Once it
buckles, then the force it exerts on the distant coating drops to a
low value, making further action on the distant coating unlikely.

> Any one of these effects may be pretty good mitigation.

It kept the Shuttle Endeavor working correctly.

> As far as statistical models go, it seems like there are still
> too many unknowns to make meaningful predictions.

Depends on what you require to be "meaningful".

It seems to me that there are enough "knowns" to say that pure tin
often grows whiskers that reach lengths of millimeters.  And that
these have caused a few hundred documented cases of major losses.

And it seems to me that we know that the density "D" of tin whiskers
is NOT a sharply defined number.  Rather, we know that "D" is a
probability distribution that extends from "D=0" to "D ~ 100 to 140
whiskers per square millimeter" for bright tin on copper alloy;
and, "D=0" to "D ~ 8 to 10 whiskers per square millimeter" for
matte tin on copper.  This range presents a huge problem!  And I
agree completely that this range is a major "unknown" in the sense
that we do not know how to predict the value of "D" for a given tin
plated surface any better than that; on the other hand, we know
that this random variable has this range.

Yesterday, I had to estimate the number of tin whiskers that might
be growing on a 120 square millimeters of pure tin on electrical
feedtroughs in some space equipment.  Now, three years after the
plating.  And at the planned end of the mission, nine years from
now.  Allowing for the solid angle filled by other conductive
surfaces, and their distance --- but using the upper limits of "D"
--- these estimates ranged from 30 to 3,000 whiskers.  And Jay and
I have in our offices, some whiskering specimens for which even the
"3,000 whiskers" would be apt.  But we also have some specimens for
which more like "zero whiskers" would be apt.  The darned tin
coatings show this wide range of whiskering densities.

> But since the
> entire field seems to thrive on example and anecdote,

Data gathering is hard work.  But there are a number of things we
know pretty well ---

   *  whiskering happens.

   *  the density of whiskering has a very broad distribution, but
has an upper limit that depends on some plating parameters, and on
coating thickness.

   *  the distribution of lengths is close to log-normal with median
length growing roughly as 1 mm/yr, and standard deviation of log(L)
~ 0.8 +/- 0.2.  (Log to the base "e".)

   *  the thickness ranges between 0.1 um to 10 um.

   *  whiskers are often kinked.

   *  CALCE has useful tables for the distribution of "whiskering
angles" --- the angle between the surface and the whisker.

   *  whiskers have oxide coatings that act as insulators: a whisker
can be in mechanical contact, but not in electrical contact, with a
different surface --- until the potential difference exceeds the
dielectric breakdown strength.  This has been measured by Hilty,
CALCE, Brusse and students and me, and Karim Courey:  The breakdown
strengths range between (roughly) 0.3 V and 15 V, with the largest
seen so far at 45 V.

CALCE has two dissertations published with a number of tables of
data.  Two more excellent works are in progress.  Karim Courey is
publishing a doctoral dissertation on dielectric breakdown
strengths of the coatings on whiskers, and has had a summary
accepted for publication in an IEEE journal.

> I think it's worth asking this:
> Does anyone know of a failure of a fine-pitch electronic
> component that has been conformal coated?

I do not.

But there are some pretty wimpy coatings in use, and the literature
reports at least some escape rate for them.

One problem is that many folks who have failures, clamp down rigidly
on the news, so we do not learn of these failures!  Jay and I meet
that on a weekly basis.  This field has many many skeletons
silently littering the closets.

One example:  The SWATCH group had a 5% failure rate (and
inspections showed a 30% whiskering rate) for their electronics.
We know this because the petition for relief by SWATCH lawyers
became distributed on the web.  But have you heard of this from
SWATCH?  I doubt it.

This is a field in which

        Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence.

> Furthermore, has anyone seen a picture of a long, straight
> whisker that's grown through a coating?
> With all of the pure tin terminations that are out there, we
> should have some examples by now.

I am attaching an image,
   "TomWhiskerThruCoating.png"
from the article by Tom Woodrow.  It may be what you are looking
for.

You can find the two articles by Tom on Jay's web site: look for Tom
Woodrow and "conformal coating".

> Joe Kane
> BAE Systems
> Johnson City, NY

I suppose a whisker will push its way through a soft enough coating.
Perhaps silicons are soft enough?

We do not use them, and so we have not studied soft coatings.

The Uralane 5750 that we studied is "cohesive" enough so that none
of "our" tin whiskers have plowed their way through the coating,
bursting out of the other side.  Rather, each whisker we have
examined, has carried out the following program:

   *  The young whisker is stubby and exceedingly stiff.  It pushes
upwards on the conformal coating, and detaches the conformal
coating from the tin coating.  This forms the conformal coating
into a shape like a "circus tent" with a single main pole.  At
least, this happens for whiskers emerging from the tin coating in a
nearly vertical direction; for a sufficiently large tilt (ie. for
whiskers growing nearly parallel to the surface) the whisker wedges
between the coatings and grows like a "gopher".  Well, we suppose
that would happen --- we have not seen it.

   *  As the whisker grows longer, it detaches a wider disk of
conformal coating.  The upwards force needed to do this grows about
as the circumference of the disk, which is roughly proportional to
the length of the whisker. (The conformal coating stretches under
creep, and this spoils perfect proportions; also, the peel-angle
between the conformal coating and tin coating changes, and so the
peeling force is not perfectly proportional with the
circumference.)

And the Euler buckling force needed to snap the lengthening whisker
into a bow, decreases as 1/length**2.

   *  There comes a time then the force needed to peel away even
more conformal coating (increasing like "length"), exceeds the
Euler buckling force (decreasing like "1/length**2".  Then the
whisker buckles.

---
We have watched the whiskers push up from under the conformal
coating, and make "circus tents", and then buckle and form "igloos"
with crumpled whiskers inside.

After nine years, no whiskers have broken thru our Uralane 5750
conformal coating, where it is 2.0 mils thick.

Tom's coatings are "leaky".  But they captured most of the whiskers.
Tom is re-visiting this work, and we look forward to seeing more of
his good work.

> In eutectic solder
> there is enough lead to keep the tin contented and keep it from
> forming tin whiskers. Therefore, a hard conformal coat
> (urethane), only slows down the growth of the tin-whiskers. The
> better the adhesion, the more it will mitigate the growth.

We did not see any slowing in the accumulation of arc length. But
each of the ones under our conformal crumpled, and never reached
above 2 mil, so they "slowed" dramatically in this sense.

> In regards to adhesion of the conformal coat, any trace of
> silicon on the surface, which may not be detectable with a 30x
> power microscope, is the worst contaminate for either urethane or
> acrylic conformal coat materials. This is in addition to other
> residues.

Our experience is that a monolayer of silicone can induce debonding.

We work hard to keep silicones far away.  We do not have debonding,
typically.  Every now and then, we do, and we stop work and hunt
down the source of the silicone and remove it.

> Respectfully,
> Raymond Bennett
>
> President
> RNB Enterprises, Inc.
> 602-889-3461 Direct
> 602-978-0248 FAX

I don't know what you would say is "significant".

But Jay and I have been watching for nine years, and none of the
hundreds of thousands of whiskers growing under our 2.0 mil thick
Uralane 5750 coatings have made it thru.  This is 100.000%
successful confinement.

And our Shuttle Endeavor was flying for 19 years with tin plated
card guides.  When we looked in 2006, we found 100 million to 300
million whiskers with lengths longer than 0.5 mm (up to 25 mm)
surrounding the 100 conformally coated boards.  There is no drizzle
of shorting failures.  (Jay and I think there was one.)  This is
"not bad, not bad at all".  Naturally, the Shuttle program removed
all this pure tin when it was found, and cleaned all the boards,
and inspected them, and tested them. and tested the re-assembled
boxes.

Please understand that I hate the use of pure tin.  I work hard to
see that it is not used in our equipment.

Sometimes, we find that it escapes into our gear, and we are about
to launch.  Do we kill the launch?  "Yes" under some circumstances
and "NO" under others --- being able to estimate the risk helps us here.

> I note that it's popular to use the word "mitigate" and that's a
> word that is not as strong a word as "avoid" or "prevent".  I
> await someone who can do the math on how statistically
> significantly conformal coatings "mitigate" tin whiskers.

"Mitigate" has two meanings:
    1.  Complete fix (or completely cure) a problem
    2.  Make the problem less serious
Thus, it is ambiguous, and so I try really hard to not use this
word.

As for the math, if one is using 2.0 mil (or thicker) Uralane 5750
coatings like the ones we used, then the risk of a whisker shorting
something out is decreased by a factor of 10,000 or more.

> A dictionary states that the word means "To moderate (a quality
> or condition) in force or intensity; alleviate."
>
> By how much?  The word itself gives us no clue.
>
> If a whisker can grow from one pin on an IC package, then
> certainly, it can also grow from adjacent pins as well and then
> don't we have the perfect opportunity for shorts?

We have a number of examples of tin whiskers shorting between pins
on DIPs.  Given the number in service, the probability of this
cannot be 100%.  It must by lower.  I estimate it must be lower
than 0.1%, but your milage may vary.

  We have not seen shorting events for conformally coated pins, but
we can certainly imagine various shorting possibilities...

   *  whisker grows out of one coating, thru air, and then collides
with the other coating and pushes thru it to contact the other pin
--- this is essentially impossible since the whisker could not push
thru the second coating.

  *  push open a gap between the conformal coating and the
substrate, and "mole-along" to the other pin --- this is possible.
We have seen a tin whisker burrowing under a tin oxide coating for
100 mils.  Apparently this has only been observed once, of
thousands of images acquired over the last few years.  So I will
not dismiss it, but I suspect it may happen only once per hundreds
of thousands of pins, or less frequently.  Let us continue to look
for examples, and to refine our estimates of how risky this path
is.  It will get more risky as gaps tighten up.

   *  push out of one coating, thru air, and contact a second
whisker moving the other way.  This could happen.  Bell Labs
computed it as 1:100,000 or less, when there is NO conformal
coating.   If one uses 2.0 mils or more of Uralane 5750, then it
should not happen at all since neither whisker could escape.

> I just read the article below on reliability of conformal
> coatings that I thought worth sharing if we are going to have to
> count on  such a coating to save our lives.

This article did not appear in my copy.  Where do I find it?