[tinwhiskers] Re: Conformal Coating ? When Reliability Goes Astray

  • From: "Fritz, Dennis D." <DENNIS.D.FRITZ@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:47:52 -0400

A reference that I worked on concerning tin whisker mitigation is the JEDEC/IPC
document JP002.  It can be downloaded free from this site:

http://www.jedec.org/DOWNLOAD/search/JP002.pdf

While the document is exactly 2 years old, it contains a reasonable
bibliography of tin whiskers articles that a consensus group felt were
reliable.  You might check there to see what Tom Woodrow of Boeing reports on
the ability of conformal coats to mitigate whiskers - reference A-49.  I heard
him speak at SMTAI in September of 2006 on his findings, but I think you have
to pay SMTA for that article.

Denny Fritz
SAIC.