[THIN] Re: Terminal Servives Licensing for DR

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:32:52 +1000

Hi Andrew

We use user CAL's.  I will install this service on a DR WI Server - good idea..
 Can I activate the DR TS License Server without installing any licenses?  Im
assuming temp licenses will be used once its activated for users without a CAL?

Will also check to see if the server is in enterprise mode..

Thanks for all your help
Ang

From: andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Terminal Servives Licensing for DR
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:19:56 +0100

First question, /user or /device cals? If its /device you’ll need to put some
licenses on there. Either way *activate* the secondary server. Don’t put stuff
off – in a DR situation you’ll be worrying about bigger things that ‘activate
the license server’ There shouldn’t be any need to change the GPO – you can
list multiple license servers – and license servers (in enterprise mode)
communicate with each other. Personally, I’m not a fan of sticking licensing
services on a TS box – is there not a WI server you can put that service on?
(I’m working on your WI service not being hosted on XenApp either – again, not
a fan if I can get away with it) In the event of a OhMy[insert deity of your
choice] scenario - *restore* your original server – don’t not do backups.
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:31:45 +0100Note, if you’re running 2003 and are in
user mode, really you just need activated license servers: although this isn’t
the case for /device. However, bear in mind that this is no longer the case in
W2k8R2 Remember that if a client presents a valid, unexpired CAL to a terminal
server upon connection, the server will allow the connection without contacting
a license server because the token has been validated by the terminal server
itself. You get need to get a license when: 1 - The client has never been
issued a CAL for the environment, neither temporary nor permanent 2 - The
client has been already issued a temporary CAL, and is in need of a permanent
CAL upgrade 3- The client has a permanent CAL that will expire within 7 days,
or the CAL has already expired, and needs to be renewed  So in your DR, you’re
really considering the last 2. Temporary licenes could be issued by any TS
licensing server - so in DR you could have an empty authenticated server
allocating licenses - so then its only (3) that could be a problem For multiple
sites (like you’ve got) it’s recommended to have multiple license servers with
your cals split between them. If your servers are in enterprise mode they’ll
redirect requests to other servers if they’ve ran out of licenses. There’s a
good article on high availability TS Licensing here -
http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/licensing/terminal-services-license-server-high-availability-recovery-part1.html