[THIN] Re: Terminal Servives Licensing for DR

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:31:45 +0100

Note, if you're running 2003 and are in user mode, really you just need
activated license servers: although this isn't the case for /device.
However, bear in mind that this is no longer the case in W2k8R2

Remember that if a client presents a valid, unexpired CAL to a terminal
server upon connection, the server will allow the connection without
contacting a license server because the token has been validated by the
terminal server itself. You get need to get a license when:

1 - The client has never been issued a CAL for the environment, neither
temporary nor permanent

2 - The client has been already issued a temporary CAL, and is in need of a
permanent CAL upgrade

3- The client has a permanent CAL that will expire within 7 days, or the CAL
has already expired, and needs to be renewed

So in your DR, you're really considering the last 2. Temporary licenes could
be issued by any TS licensing server - so in DR you could have an empty
authenticated server allocating licenses - so then its only (3) that could
be a problem

For multiple sites (like you've got) it's recommended to have multiple
license servers with your cals split between them. If your servers are in
enterprise mode they'll redirect requests to other servers if they've ran
out of licenses.

There's a good article on high availability TS Licensing here -
http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/lice
nsing/terminal-services-license-server-high-availability-recovery-part1.html