[THIN] Re: Terminal Servives Licensing for DR

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:19:56 +0100

First question, /user or /device cals? If its /device you'll need to put
some licenses on there. Either way *activate* the secondary server. Don't
put stuff off - in a DR situation you'll be worrying about bigger things
that 'activate the license server'

There shouldn't be any need to change the GPO - you can list multiple
license servers - and license servers (in enterprise mode) communicate with
each other.

Personally, I'm not a fan of sticking licensing services on a TS box - is
there not a WI server you can put that service on? (I'm working on your WI
service not being hosted on XenApp either - again, not a fan if I can get
away with it)

In the event of a OhMy[insert deity of your choice] scenario - *restore*
your original server - don't not do backups.

From: andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:31:45 +0100

Note, if you're running 2003 and are in user mode, really you just need
activated license servers: although this isn't the case for /device.
However, bear in mind that this is no longer the case in W2k8R2

Remember that if a client presents a valid, unexpired CAL to a terminal
server upon connection, the server will allow the connection without
contacting a license server because the token has been validated by the
terminal server itself. You get need to get a license when:

1 - The client has never been issued a CAL for the environment, neither
temporary nor permanent

2 - The client has been already issued a temporary CAL, and is in need of a
permanent CAL upgrade

3- The client has a permanent CAL that will expire within 7 days, or the CAL
has already expired, and needs to be renewed

So in your DR, you're really considering the last 2. Temporary licenes could
be issued by any TS licensing server - so in DR you could have an empty
authenticated server allocating licenses - so then its only (3) that could
be a problem

For multiple sites (like you've got) it's recommended to have multiple
license servers with your cals split between them. If your servers are in
enterprise mode they'll redirect requests to other servers if they've ran
out of licenses.

There's a good article on high availability TS Licensing here -
http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/lice
nsing/terminal-services-license-server-high-availability-recovery-part1.html