[THIN] Re: Terminal Servives Licensing for DR

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:56:37 +1000

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your response.  We do run Windows 2003 Servers. Would the following
work:

1) Install Terminal Services Licensing on an existing XenApp server in the DR
Site.  Do not activate or install licenses

2) In a DR scenario, change the GPO that sets the TS licensing server so all DR
XenApp servers point to TS licensing server in DR site.

If my understanding is correct, existing clients with a valid CAL will work
anyway.  New clients without a CAL will connect to the DR TS Licensing server
and be given a temporary CAL which will last 120 days.  It simply allows me to
save some time in a DR so I dont have to call MS Clearinghouse.  I simply need
clients without a CAL to be able to login.  Would this work?

Thanks
Ang

From: andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Terminal Servives Licensing for DR
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:31:45 +0100

Note, if you’re running 2003 and are in user mode, really you just need
activated license servers: although this isn’t the case for /device. However,
bear in mind that this is no longer the case in W2k8R2 Remember that if a
client presents a valid, unexpired CAL to a terminal server upon connection,
the server will allow the connection without contacting a license server
because the token has been validated by the terminal server itself. You get
need to get a license when: 1 - The client has never been issued a CAL for the
environment, neither temporary nor permanent 2 - The client has been already
issued a temporary CAL, and is in need of a permanent CAL upgrade 3- The client
has a permanent CAL that will expire within 7 days, or the CAL has already
expired, and needs to be renewed  So in your DR, you’re really considering the
last 2. Temporary licenes could be issued by any TS licensing server - so in DR
you could have an empty authenticated server allocating licenses - so then its
only (3) that could be a problem For multiple sites (like you’ve got) it’s
recommended to have multiple license servers with your cals split between them.
If your servers are in enterprise mode they’ll redirect requests to other
servers if they’ve ran out of licenses. There’s a good article on high
availability TS Licensing here -
http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/licensing/terminal-services-license-server-high-availability-recovery-part1.html