[THIN] Re: Page file max out

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:00:07 -0500

Steve

Not on Win2k.  The problem with Win2k and other "non hyperthread aware" OSs is
that when one of the processors in the physical/logical pair becomes idle (I
suspect only idle for a while) it can send a control to the processor that has
an effect on the logical paired processor (e.g. 0/2, 1/3).  The effect of this
isn't clear to me.  It looks to me that this effect probably clears out too
much cache (decreasing performance), but perhaps at the wrong time it might
cause problems such as Chris relates.

By the way, that quote looks suspicious.  Of course the processor is SMT aware
-- how could Intel develop a pseudo-dual processor that wasn't?  Portions of
the Xeon processor are shared, portions (including part of the on-die cache)
are separate.  It is technically possible for one logical processor to have
impact on cache lines for the other processor, but not to the level implied in
that quote.  The nature of hyperthreading saves cost (over a full dual
processor design) by taking advantage of logical processor stalls that occur in
the cache lines (even on a uniprocessor).  This is why we see HT increasing
performance (in an HT aware OS) of about 70% when the second processor is
enabled.

And you don't need HT or SMT to get the benefits of add on CPU/Memory products.
 I might be biased on which is better though...

Tim Mangan

From: Rick Mack <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:11:26
To:thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [THIN] Re: Page file max out

Hi Steve,

There's a lot of evidence to show that under most scenarios, a hyperthreaded
CPU will give you a significant CPU performance boost, always provided your
system isn't getting too busy.

I'd like to quote part of a very good article on what hyperthreading is all
about "Introduction to Multithreading, Superthreading and Hyperthreading" by
Jon "Hannibal" Stokes.

Of particular interest is the following:
"Each of the Xeon's caches--the trace cache, L1, L2, and L3--is SMT-unaware,
and each treats all loads and stores the same regardless of which logical
processor issued the request. So none of the caches know the difference
between one logical processor and another, or between code from one thread
or another. This means that one executing thread can monopolize virtually
the entire cache if it wants to, and the cache, unlike the processor's
scheduling queue, has no way of forcing that thread to cooperate
intelligently with the other executing thread. The processor itself will
continue trying to run both threads, though, issuing fetches from each one.
This means that, in a worst-case scenario where the two running threads have
two completely different memory reference patterns (i.e. they're accessing
two completely different areas of memory and sharing no data at all) the
cache will begin thrashing as data for each thread is alternately swapped in
and out and bus and cache bandwidth are maxed out."
Basically, once the CPU starts cache thrashing, memory access time blow out
and you end up with a very slow system. Strtaight performance tests show
that hyperthreading (HT) is great until things get really busy, then an HT
system will collapse a lot faster than a non-HT system.

If it happens to be a back-end file/print server, the end result can be
catastrophic for a TS farm.

I don't use hyperthreading on file/print servers, regardless of O.S.
version. That response isn't totally logical, but my experiences with
hyperthreading problems have just been too painful.

But back to your original question about hyperthreading and win2k. Microsoft
genarally recommend you don't use hyperthreading on win2k.

However, provided you use some sort of CPU control (Armtech, Appsense,
TMUlimit, threadmaster etc) my experience is you can run with hyperthreading
on win2k system, safely and with significant benefit.

But mix heavy I/O, a virus checker and heavy apps an an HT system without
CPU resource control, regardless of the O.S. version and you're going to
have some interesting problems.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack