[THIN] Re: Pegasus Opera 2

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:48:04 +0000

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:26:28 +1000, Rick Mack <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone who wants to run kernel mode printer drivers on Windows server 2003 is
> missing out on a great opportunity to finally get rid of potentially
> dangerous printer drivers.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't WANT to use them! :)
If it doesn't use them, staff cant generate reports or post the
financial journals properly, as it kicks them out of the program after
every transaction!

> Of course accounting software like Pegasus often uses back-end engines from
> the dark ages so it's not really all that surprising. And approaching your
> suppliers and telling them you want a win2k/XP version, not NT 4 compatible
> doesn't generally help 'cause they only know accounting.

Best thing is, they wont talk to us as we don't have a support
contract, although we've managed to ween out of them that we're not on
the latest version, even though we have a update maintenance contract
(how that works, I don't know!) and the new versions "2003
compatible", so we'll see what that uses when it comes..

> Most PDF converters use a plain ordinary postscript driver. If it's a kernel
> mode driver, it can be replaced with a version-3 equivalent and the converter
> will most times still work. If you don't know where to start, email me.

Thanks - will see what this new version comes with and take it from there :)
http://www.seamlessplanet.com