[THIN] Re: Office 2003 Suppress User name popup

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:24:32 +1000

Hi

Very good point.  I neglected the username setting.  Im assuming you cannot set
%username% in the ADM file..

Im willing to try a VB file.  I found this on the Internet but it doesn't work
as I get error "Registry Editing has been disabled by your administrator".  We
do disable registry editing via a GPO so I need code that will not interfere
with this..

Regards
Angela

Subject: [THIN] Re: Office 2003 Suppress User name popup
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:38:54 +1100
From: Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Angela,

I would only ever do this via a cmd, VBScript, or Kix script.
Taking care of the Company value is not a problem, but you want to individually
set the UserName to the actual user of that session. If you do it through an
ADM template, all users will have the same name, or you need to change the
REG_SZ value to a REG_EXPAND_SZ and use %USERNAME%. Then you need to deal with
the UserInitials. So how would you derive that? Typically it’s the first
letter of the username. You may also be able to change that to a REG_EXPAND_SZ
and use %USERNAME:~0,+1%, which will return the first letter of the username.

All this is very simple to achieve with a script to ensure that
all users have personalised settings. You could also use the new GP Preferences
too.

Not a lot of help because I don’t have a script you are
looking for, but hope that helps you down the right path.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

From: cwegener@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:41:40 +1100

Hi Angela,

You would need to pre-populate the
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\UserInfo
Key with the UserName, UserInitials, Company values.

You could either, create a login script that does this, create
and ADM file for the keys, include the values in your default user profile, or
you could enter this information at the Office installation time, when Terminal
Services redirects HKCU changes to the shadow area (though I won’t
recommend this last option)

I am sure, someone with a little more time here, will be able to
provide you with some script snippets to include in a login script.

Cheers,

Christoph