[THIN] Re: Office 2003 Suppress User name popup

  • From: "peter_dibbens" <peter_dibbens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:04:38 +1000

I normally use the code below:

Pete

Option Explicit

Const HKCU = &H80000001

Dim strComputer, strUsername, sBinUsername, oReg, strKeyPath, strValueName,
strWriteNewValue

Dim objWshNetwork, WshShell

Set objWshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

Set WshShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

strComputer = "."

strUsername = objWshNetwork.UserName

OfficeUserName

'@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

'Write Office username to the registry

'

'@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Sub OfficeUserName

                sBinUsername = ToByteArray(strUsername)

                Set
oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer
& "\root\default:StdRegProv")

                strKeyPath =
"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\COMMON\USERINFO"

                strValueName = "UserName"

                oReg.CreateKey HKCU, strKeyPath

                strWriteNewValue = oReg.SetBinaryValue(HKCU, strKeyPath,
strValueName, sBinUsername)

                Wscript.echo "@@@@@ Writing Username for Office"

                If strWriteNewValue <> 0 Then

                                'An error occurred

                                WScript.Echo "Error, return code: " &
strWriteNewValue

                                Exit Sub

                End If

End Sub

'@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

'Function to create an array of binary values

'

'@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Function ToByteArray(ByVal sString)

                Dim iIndex, iPos

                ReDim aBytes(Len(sString) * 2 + 1)

                iIndex = -1

                For iPos = 1 To Len(sString)

                                iIndex = iIndex + 1

                                aBytes(iIndex) = Asc(Mid(sString, iPos, 1))

                                'add a 0 after each letter

                                iIndex = iIndex + 1

                                aBytes(iIndex) = 0

                Next

                'add two closing 0's

                iIndex = iIndex + 1

                aBytes(iIndex) = 0

                iIndex = iIndex + 1

                aBytes(iIndex) = 0

                ToByteArray = aBytes

End Function

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:20:44 -0400
From: jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did you try just opening up the default users ntuser.dat in regedit on the
server and prepopulating the key? (also look under HKLM/current/ms/ windows
nt/terminal server/ installed/ office/common etc key for the same settings
and populate it) The change user /install trick works for this also.

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com <http://www.techblink.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenzig
Twitter: http://twitter.com/InternetPilot

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:02 AM, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi

Im having lots of issues finding a VB script that will update this office
key.  Does anyone have a VB script that will update this.  Id like to have
the script interrogate AD so the real user name is used but anything is
better than nothing.  Even if it populated the user key with a generic name
I would be happy.

Thanks
Ang

  _____

From: cwegener@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:41:40 +1100

Hi Angela,

You would need to pre-populate the
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\UserInfo Key with the UserName,
UserInitials, Company values.
You could either, create a login script that does this, create and ADM file
for the keys, include the values in your default user profile, or you could
enter this information at the Office installation time, when Terminal
Services redirects HKCU changes to the shadow area (though I won't recommend
this last option)

I am sure, someone with a little more time here, will be able to provide you
with some script snippets to include in a login script.

Cheers,
Christoph