[THIN] Re: OT XP home on an NT domain

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:54:50 -0000

FWIW, I agree with some of the sentiment.

I did some work, briefly, in making a Linux (Fedora 2) desktop tenable
as a corporate desktop (basically, usable interface, openoffice, and
common authentication) and have done work on integrating Macs within
Active Directory, too.

I have a Linux PC on my desk, that integrates with Active Directory
(populates a computer object), authenticates using LDAP and Kerberos
(using direct methods, rather than by proxy). So I can use the same
credentials I use on my XP PC, and use openoffice, and access Windows
file resources - and given that I think there's a Novell freeware plugin
for Ximian for Exchange connectivity. I've not done any work on
equivalence of GPOs for local desktop config, though - and that would
likely take a while, since it's been a while since I've done a lot of
work on UNIX platforms.

I also worked on integrating Macs with Active Directory - currently just
LDAP authentication and the use of Windows file resources for home
directory (on the Mac) mapping, then Citrix WI stuff for Microsoft apps
(Office and the like).

However, in all of this, it's either been an interest thing, or a
bespoke / fringe thing. Not a direct competition. Although it does
demonstrate a possibility with the Linux desktop, for notional free
software licenses (although in reality, it's likely that corporate
licensing would be adopted were it used in anger).

The reality is, though, that Microsoft does dominate the desktop market,
and for the foreseeable (even if with some work there may be some
alternatives). Because it's a lot of work, and lack of comfort zone for
corporates to implement other alternatives.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

http://www.seamlessplanet.com