[THIN] Re: OT XP home on an NT domain

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:57:53 +0000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:40:40 -0000, Spriggs Jon
<Jon.Spriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, I'm not trying to turn it into a war (that's the last thing I want!),
> but I am interested... What do you think it would take to break the
> monopoly? What areas do you think would need to be improved for it to be
> considered as a usable desktop client? At what point would the sums be worth
> it to the customer?

One of the main things I think that it needs is a central management
system, a la GPO's - although I hear RedHat has some sort of a system,
I dont know how far it goes or how its managed. Other than that, I
dont really see it as lacking anything per se, just applications!

On the server side of things though, I believe Linux is already there
and viable, but you do need to know your stuff :)

Andrew
http://www.seamlessplanet.com