[THIN] Re: OT XP home on an NT domain

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:20:19 -0000

Comments inline...

A bit dramatic?

Who's been fighting a war, here?

> Yes, Linux is great, lovely and wonderful.
>
> And if I try to convince my clients to move to it thus
> throwing away all the training and knowledge their end-user
> staff have, they will laugh at me.

Why would you try to convince a client of something that's not in their
interests?

Why is it all or nothing? Why is it always the fallacy of the obscured
middle?

What if a client actually was thinking along those lines, and it would
suit them? What then?

> Right now, Windows is the Desktop player. Macs are fine if
> all you want to do is use Office, and design stuff - but
> that's a tiny market. The database apps are almost all for
> Wintel. In a few year's time that may change. But Linux
> advocates have been saying that this is the year for Linux on
> the desktop for a couple of years now - and we still have an
> MS Monopoly.

And that's not likely to change.

But I didn't see an argument, here, that Linux is going to be the
desktop - merely that with some considerations, it does represent an
alternative.

And that alternative is becoming ever more tenable. More and more
businesses are turning to Linux and other alternatives. This isn't going
to turn the tides, either in the short term, or likely the medium to
long term - but it is reasonable to point out that there *are*
alternatives, given some caveats. That doesn't equate to an argument
that Linux or Mac OS, or some other desktop OS is suddenly going to
revolutionise the desktop market, though.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

http://www.seamlessplanet.com