[THIN] Re: OT: Sorta...Idea....Consultants Consortium

  • From: "Michael Mills" <mmills@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:23:38 -0600

Consortium must be the buzz word of the year, our company has just
ramped up a similar idea where we have a group of business partners, One
does Enterprise Storage, One does IDS, one does Managed Firewalls, etc..
These are partners that we have used frequently over the past few years
trading back and forth business opportunities.  Last November we all
came up with this idea that if we could package what collectively we all
offered that it would be a powerful sales package.  We now have a
"package" to offer smaller consultant companies that they can then
resell at a profit to them and the consortium.  It is a win-win
situation for all those involved.  Already we have reaped the benefits
of having such a extraordinary and diverse back channel of talent.

The 501C thing is something that we were going to pursue but after some
consulting with others that have setup similar things we decided that it
would only limit our progress and growth for the future.

Not that I am Alan Greenspan, but I can definitely see that the future
of tech business is not being the best at everything but being the best
at locating the best company or person for the job.

As for working for ourselves, I agree that we do it for the money (to a
point) however isn't that how most companies actually got started?  If
you work for yourself and you are good and honest at what you do your
personal business gets too big for you to handle yourself so you hire
someone to help you......... 10 Years later you are EDS....... (maybe a
little overstated)!!!!

Michael Mills