[THIN] Re: ICA alternative?

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:19:29 -0700

Hi Hector,=20

I agree that X is faster for rich content on a LAN than ICA. As I am =
sure
you agree, it would have been better if Citrix had chosen to keep UIS
available.

However, since X is not an option anymore we must work with ICA and the
problem is that many of the newer graphically intensive apps rely on =
local
video hardware accelaration and/or things like OPEN GL. ICA can support
these extensions to some degree, but by the nature of the architecture =
these
grpahics are rendered on the Citrix server using the server CPU. As a =
result
I believe the best way to improve the graphics performance is to use =
faster
CPU's on the server, take advantage of HT, etc.

One approach we did recently for a major customer was to contract =
Neoware to
include OPEN GL in their LINUX EON terminal image. However, this only =
works
for OPEN GL apps that are able to run over X- and we are back to the =
same
problem!

What level of CPU are you running on now?=20

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd. suite D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85262