[THIN] Re: OT: Domain Controller Security...

  • From: "Paul DeHaan" <wppad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lynch00@xxxxxxx>, <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:19:12 -0400

This won't help you much but...I attempted the same thing for a while.  =
Each remote location had a DC that was a file/print server, but we only =
wanted the tech to have rights to that DC and not the other domain/enterpri=
se DC's.  Don't recall if I got the sharing working, but I reset most of =
the reg permissions to add the local admins for that Site OU.  Problem =
was, to manage DHCP and other services you have to change lot of system32 =
and other location permissions... it's a never ending battle for every =
service or application.  I was never able to give them the ability to =
install service packs without being server operators or admins.  Even =
broke down and called MS and they promptly told me that it is not designed =
to work like this.  I pushed hard and got some MS engineers but they =
concluded the same.

I ended up buying some cheap 1.2 Ghz  compaq servers (~$800 ea) to be DC's =
that would just sit and never be touched by the local guys.  Then demoted =
the other servers and made the local guys admins on those servers.  It has =
worked flawlessly for 8 or so months, with much less headache.  It is also =
more secure and stable keeping everyone off of those DC boxes.

Major down side is the 800 a pop and the extra space of the servers (and =
time of course, but it sounds like you are spending plenty of that now). =
<grin> =20

Regards,
Paul

>>> lynch00@xxxxxxx 05/21/04 11:27AM >>>