[THIN] Re: ICA alternative?

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:23:41 -0500

Hector Minero asked:=20
> We currently have 100Mb to the desktop and=20
> are looking to
> provide graphics intensive applications through Terminal=20
> Servers, applications such as Matlab and other simulation pacakages.
> We are using Neoware thin clients are very happy with them. =20
> However,  the simulations do not display as fast as we=20
> expect, they seem very slow. =20
> We do have a lot of bandwidth available, and system resources=20
> are underutilized.
> Is there an ICA setting I need to set or tweak to allow the=20
> ICA  protocol to use as much bandwidth as necessary?
> If not, is there an alternative product/solution for my=20
> requirement of displaying graphics intensive programs on Thin CLients?

Many "gaphics intensive" applications are not constrained by network
bandwidth but by graphics processing power. Applications like CAD and
photo editing rely on offloading graphics tasks to purpose-built
graphics cards (so-called "hardware acceleration"). If such a card is
not available, then the computer's regular CPU must do the computational
work (software emulation). A terminal server just doesn't have the
horsepower to go that kind of graphics work for even one user, much less
for multiple users simultaneously.

To my knowledge, there is no way to do hardware-accelerated graphics via
thin computing protocols. No matter how bandwidth-frugal your ICA or RDP
or whatever-it-is communication protocol is, the problem is really
elsewhere. Given today's technology, graphically demanding applications
work best in the "fat" computing model, with access to a specialized
graphics card to do the graphic computations.

http://www.tarantella.com/ttba